Many thanks to Ulf for inviting us after two month of standstill. I think we are all more than glad to come back to some kind of normality.
Let´s look forward and not back. My philosophy has always been that there is no advantage withiout disadvantage and vice versa.
I don´t need to mention or explain the extreme and devastating disadvantages of this lockdown for our industry
- business suffered extreme losses and many will be ruined and closed
- our life style has and will further change. For the better or worse needs to be seen
- our attidute to many public institutions has by many of us aroused a mistrust in justice by the public authorities
- this situation reminds me with shivers to George Orwell´s book 1984. I quote from wikipedia –
„ a highmarish vision of totalitarian bureaucratic world and one poor stiff´s attempt to find individuality „. Many of us can only remember it very well and I personally loathe such actions
But I can also see some advantages in it. For example –
- airbnb minimized
- disappearance of e-scooters and beer-cycle vehicles
- cleaner air and no white tracks in the horizon
- reduction of traffic noise
- to hear and listen to birds singing day and night. Woodpeckers at work..etc
- watching the own local rabbits running through the street and parks
- hopefully decline in globalization and focus on our own markets and supplies
- Data from a Prague City Hall project shows that rental prices for apartments have dropped one-fifth during the coronavirus crisis, and the number of flats available has tripled, while use of flats for short-term rental has dropped by half. The city hopes to leverage this data to increase the number of flats going to long-term leases rather than shared use.
What can / must we do as Skål Int.Club Prague ?
- first off all we must stick together and try as much as possible to help and assist each other
- thinking about joint actions
- euhoca – bundled purchase power
- special offers
- any ideas are more than welcome
- I am afraid of what I have heard and seen so far that we cannot hope too much for national or international help. Many promises have so far been unfulfilled and the promised financial aid is a long time, or not at all, coming. There are hundreds of expections to all this promises and explainations of why this is not the case in our case. What´s left is to help ourselves.
Because of the extreme past I was not able to mention
March and April past Birthdays –
Viktor Dvorak 3.
Zdenek Kovarik 3..
Wolfgang Quilitz 3.
Claudiio Sturm 3.
Pavel Janku 4.
Marie Ranisova 4.
Karla Svobodova 4.
Daniel Xuereb 4.
Karel Prokosch 5.
I fear that we have to chew on this uncertain situation for a long time to come
But as I mentioned in the beginning of my speech. We will carry on and survive. And therefore -
To all the Skålleagues everywhere
HEALTH * HAPPINESS * FRIENDSHIP * LONG LIFE * SKÅL